Claire qualified as a pharmacist in 2010 and has undertaken various general hospital pharmacist roles to start her career. She commenced an innovative new role as a biologics pharmacist in rheumatology at Wye Valley NHS Trust in 2015, following a gainshare agreement with the CCG. She works within the rheumatology department which has approximately 650 patients on biologics, apremilast and JAK inhibitors, over a large geographic area.
She has gained clinical and strategical responsibilities including:
· Biologic, apremilast and JAK inhibitor initiation clinics, both face-to-face and via telephone. In these clinics patients are counselled extensively before starting treatment and it is ensured that all pre-treatment checks and investigations are undertaken.
· Prescribing biologics, apremilast and JAK inhibitors.
· Medication funding and formulary working group applications.
· Development of a commissioning statement in partnership with the CCG.
· Participation in MDT and biologics meetings.
· Liaison with CCGs, the pharmacy department and other outside groups.
· Managing biosimilar switch projects.
· Development of a biologic dose tapering protocol.
· Ensuring the cost effective use of rheumatology medication.
· Writing and updating departmental medication guidelines and protocols.
· Medicines information enquiries.
Claire has also completed various educational courses to enhance her role in rheumatology and has presented service evaluation posters at both BSR and EULAR conferences.